Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Anthropologie Accordian Strands Necklace Knock-Off Tutorial

This is my version of the Anthropologie Accordion Strands Necklace:

Here is the Anthropologie original:


When I saw this necklace, I immediately thought, "I can make that!" I have been making similar things for as long as I can remember. We used plastic lace when I was a kid, but it's the same technique. This necklace is $278. It is real silk, I guess, but I made mine for just a few dollars using grosgrain instead.


Materials needed:


At least 18 feet of 3/8" wide ribbon

Chain to your desired length

Jeweled beads or buttons

Jump rings

Tools needed:


Scissors

Ruler

Jewelry pliers

Candle and lighter




If you want the ribbon section to be longer than mine, use more ribbon. 20-22 feet would probably be good.



Begin by unraveling all of the ribbon from the spool. Find the middle and cut it in half to make two 9 foot pieces. Find the middle of each piece.



Put one piece through the end of the chain. Make sure it is the middle of the ribbon.




Place the second ribbon perpendicular to the first over the chain.




Bring the bottom ribbon up...




the left ribbon across...




the top ribbon down...




and the left ribbon over too. It will cross the first ribbon and go under the second ribbon.





It should look like this.




Pull the ribbons really tight to make a knot.




Do the same process again, but this time do not pull it as tight.




Continue the same steps. It will start looking like this.


Here are the steps again, in case you need to see them one more time.










Be sure that each knot is pulled to the same tightness so that it looks even.



It may take about 20-30 minutes after you get the hang of it to finish the knotting.


When you get to the end and there is only a little ribbon left, slip the other end of the chain on to one of the ribbons. Make two other knots over the chain and pull them really tight.



Clip the ends of the ribbon off close to the last knot.




Very carefully, hold the ends of the ribbon near a candle to melt and seal the ends so they don't fray.





Now use the jewelry pliers to put jump rings through the jewels and connect them together.



Take the chain apart after the first link and attach the jewels with a jump ring. Attach the chain to the last jewel with another jump ring.


Repeat on the other side.



Make sure the chain is the length you want it to be. I attached the round part of a toggle clasp to the ends of the chain to make it look like the Anthropologie version. But I wanted mine to have an adjustable length so I put a lobster clasp on in the end.


And that's it! You now have your very own Anthropologie Accordion Strands Necklace, and didn't have to spend $278.




I also made one in royal blue.










It is a great statement necklace that goes with everything.




I wore the blue one to work twice this week (you can see my outfits next Tuesday night in my weekly outfit post) and it created quite a stir. Women were asking me to teach a class on how to make them. And my students were impressed. Who knew a group of 7th grade boys could get so excited about a necklace? They thought it was a Chinese finger trap. Then when they saw the picture of the original, the couldn't believe the price, or that I had actually made one myself. It was funny. And fun.

Be sure to let me know if you make one!

I will be linking up to these parties. Please check them out!

60 comments:

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

I had this necklace in my inspiration file. I was going to have to hut online how to create the accordian. Thank you so much for sharing this! :) LOVE it!

Michelle said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing...can't wait to try this!
Michelle

Chiara said...

This is A-MAZ-ING! I actually like YOUR version better than the original inspiration. Thank you for the clear and wonderful tutorial. You did a GREAT job!

Alyssa said...

Adorable! I may have to try it!

Megan said...

just beautiful! I love the colors you chose.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Jennifer Huerta said...

I will have to make one. Or better yet, it looks like your class of boys will be interested in making me one! Great idea that I'll definitely be trying out soon! :)

http://jenniferhuerta.blogspot.com

Your Mom said...

Oh my heavens I NEVER thought I would see boondoogle used in such a darling way! How fun! You did a great job.

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Great idea! It looks fab! I love that the boys were so interested, perhaps for art & craft you could get them churning some out ;)

Sara {Sara's Closet} said...

Awesome! It looks just like the original. The best part of DIY is knowing how much you saved, so cute!

Amber said...

Yours is better!

Sarah said...

Oh, man this is so awesome. I love your royal blue one. Great, great job here on this project!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

great tutorial, so pretty! Stoppin by from Sew Much Ado's link party, so glad I did...lovin' your blog..newest follower!

Kelli said...

This is adorable! I love it. I must make one!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This is gorgeous!!! I love your version. 278 is insane for a ribbon necklace!!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

CREATIVE MIND said...

hey dear,you explain wonderfully..very nice..

i make my purse handle with the same technique,but i use two colors.if you want to see that handmade purse & its handle visit here;

http://creativemind-zeshuregi.blogspot.com/2010/04/weaving-handbag.html

Thanks!!

Two Carolina Nesters said...

Thanks for posting this! Got the materials this morning and am making one this afternoon! So excited!

Lori@KitchenFunk said...

This is gorgeous! I used to make those with GIMP when I was a kid at camp (does anyone know what that is?). What a gorgeous grown-up version. I can't wait to make one myself. Thank you for a great tutorial!!! ~Lori (found you at Sew Much Ado)

Aimee said...

So impressed! Yours looks almost exactly like the Anthro one. I love the one in royal blue!

Sachiko said...

This is so fun and I love your step by step tutorial! Thank you for linking!

Two Carolina Nesters said...

I made one and love it! You can check it out on our blog www.twocarolinanesters.blogspot.com

Thanks again for the wonderful tutorial!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

This is so great!! I love it - and you did a great tutorial too! I saw this over at Copycat Crafts and had to come tell you what a great necklace it is!!

Melanie said...

This is so cool! I totally made lanyards the same way at summer camp! Who knew that skill would come in handy as an adult? I am now a follower and would love if you came and checked out my blog as well!

Melanie
youmadethat.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

I found your site from homepodge. Your necklace is so incredibly beautiful. I especially love the royal blue one. Thank you for sharing such an amazing how-to!
-Barbara

Jenny Beth said...

this is probably one of the most beautiful necklaces I have ever seen. you did an amazing job. {visiting from tatertots and jello}

visit me @lifeonlyford.blogspot.com

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

this is awesome!!!! thanks so much for the tutorial... I am having a party I would love for you to join: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/03/project-party-weekend-5-ways-to-re.html

Susan @ Living with Punks said...

Stunning! Love the colors...everything. I pinned this post on my pinterest. If you'd like to see, come here:
http://pinterest.com/livingwithpunks/pins/

c.w.frosting said...

Gorgeous, especially with the outfits! I remember knotting lanyards in that square pattern when I was little. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll have to try this!

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

This will be featured on my blog today!!! Thanks for linking it up!

Nat said...

Sweet! Boondoggle with ribbon! You are RAD! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Steff's Fashion said...

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this!! I've been wanting to do this but I couldn't remember how to and now I can make it a necklace! I LOVE it!!! I'll post pics when I'm done...

Meghan P said...

going to michaels today! and linking up to my blog! thanks for sharing

~Leanne~ said...

those are awesome!!! i just did an anthropologie swap on craftster, lol thanks for the tutorial

Heidi's Hobby said...

Thanks for this tutorial - I tried it out last night!!
Check it out:
http://heidihobby.blogspot.com/2011/03/anthropology-knock-off-necklace.html

Kristen Turkosz said...

Just made these today! Thanks so much for the inspiration and sharing! It took us a few minutes to realize that we had to alternate pulling the left ribbon over and right ribbon over every other time (maybe you can mention that in your tutorial?), but they came out great! I would love for you to check them out: http://saltandpepperkristen.blogspot.com/2011/03/ribbon-necklace.html

made-to-travel.com said...

woah!!! woah! wonderful!! thank you so much for this! i'm totally going to try this!

Lillian Pearl Designs said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! It's been featured over at my blog! http://lillianpearl.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunday-inspiration.html

Melissa Conn Stapleton said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial! I made one myself and I love how it turned out! I posted it on my blog with a link to your tutorial!

http://thatssoador.blogspot.com/2011/03/accordion-strands.html

Valerie said...

LOVE this! Where did you find the jewel pieces you used? I can't find them!!

Stephanie Mosselman said...

thanks for the tute - i am going to try this immediately! o-wait, i have to work...for the weekend i guess;)

Amber said...

Now that I'm home from my trip I'm totally making one of these. Yeah!!

Tonyawear said...

This is a great tutorial. I really love how you show something you liked and made it your own.

Lisa said...

This is so pretty, I thought it was turquoise beads.

Karisa said...

Great job! I've included this in my link round-up on the FaveCrafts Blog: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/national-craft-month-jewelry-link-love/

Would you like to publish your tutorial on FaveCrafts? Email me if you're interested :)

Anna said...

I'm so going to get me a lot of ribbon this weekend!!

xx Anna
Fairytalefrocks.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me how long your ribbon part is when finished? Mine is looking longer than your pictures...
This was like math to me! Maybe I am the only person that didn't make lanyards growing up!
Thanks!
Marrilee

Hani@Craftionary said...

that is a beautiful idea.. I remember making friendship bands in school using the same technique.. but this fabulous idea never occured to me.. i simply love it. :)
I was wondering if you would like to guest post on my blog, it would be really fun to have you.. let me know if you are interested?
love
hani
http://craftionary.blogspot.com

Heather said...

I love this necklace! Any chance you'd like to contribute this on our Link Party today? http://500dollarwedding.blogspot.com/2011/04/wednesday-blog-party-1.html

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

this is amazing!!!! i found you through a friend :) I'm now following!

The Beading Gem said...

I remember doing that weave when younger for decorating a room but I love your idea better! The ribbon version looks great in a necklace design. I will feature/link in a future post so others can come visit!

Pearl
http://www.beadinggem.com

Nikki said...

I made one of these
http://naturesheirloom.blogspot.com/2011/04/anthro-knock-off-necklace.html
Thanks for the awesome tutorial!!

veggiegal7 said...

I made one using the tutorial...it took me a couple hours instead of 20-30 minutes but I had fun and was very happy with the results! I put a fake flower on one end of the accordion instead of using the faux gems.

Matter Of Style said...

really beautiful!
Great idea to make a silk scobidou!

Heather said...

Featured this on our blog today, brag about it to your followers, you deserve it!!! :) heather

WobiSobi said...

Amazing !!! I love it!! Great tutorial.
Anne

Lisa said...

Hi! Fantastic tutorial, thanks so much! I’ve linked it up to my post here: http://sewgloried.blogspot.com/2011/08/ribbon-jewlery.html

Lana said...

Hi, Thank you so much for this great tutorial!

I actually made one and posted it on my blog:

http://lanared.blogspot.com/2012/05/anthropologie-accordion-strands.html

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

xxLana

scrapfancy said...

I came across your tutorial and have to say WOW. Great one and looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly Spence said...

I adore this DIY! I've linked up to it in my round-up of Anthro-inspired jewelry tutorials here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/anthropologie-inspired-diy-jewelry-projects/

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Kelly Spence, Editor
AllFreeJewelryMaking.com
kspence@primecp.com

federica ferrarese said...

Very nice!!!!
Thank you for the tutorial!
candiedfruits.wordpress.com

knita said...


I just bought this necklace in Barcelona Spain. Very inexpensive. Thanks so much for the Tutorial. Can't wait to make it.

Arnetta

 

©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger