Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Monday, July 26, 2010

Nautical Jewelry Tutorial


Many of you may have probably seen the tutorial for the sailor's knot bracelets on Etsy, especially because it was featured on U-Create. When I saw the tutorial I knew I had to try it! I immediately went to the craft store and bought some cord. Read on to see how it went and get my advice.



This photo was the first time (after a couple of tries) that I successfully finished the bracelet. It wasn't too bad, but it was way too big! I used a soup can like they suggested, but it was too big for me. I have really tiny wrists.






I used this smaller can of baking powder to create my bracelet. If you want one in small size use a can like this.





It took a few more tries until I got it looking (almost) perfect. I was really happy with how it turned out- except one thing. I had tons of cord left! The instructions called for 3 1/2 yards and I had a little over 1 yard left. If you want to make a small bracelet buy a little less cord!

I had to come up with some other use for the cord and this is what I got:




I love it! I didn't take step-by-step pictures because I was experimenting but I will explain what to do:


-Arrange your cord in a design you like on a piece of cardstock.

-Dip a toothpick in strong glue like E-6000 (go outside to use this smelly glue!).

-Place the toothpick between two pieces of touching cord. Squeeze the cord together and pull the toothpick out.

-Repeat with all places where the cord is touching. Let dry





The clasp isn't very professional; I know there are much better methods out there but I just wanted to use what I had on hand. Here is a how-to:

-Wrap the ends of the cord in clear tape to keep it from fraying.

-Hot glue chain to the taped cord.

-Hot glue ribbon over the tape and chain, tucking the ends of the ribbon under to prevent fraying.

-Attach a clasp to the chain using jewelry pliers.






I was a little surprised at how much my husband liked this one, seeing as how it is a bit different. But I love it! I am wearing it as I am writing this!






I should not have taken these photos on a white background. Oh well...

This post will be linked to:

It's So Very Cheri
Hope Studios
Tea Rose Home
Blue Cricket Design
Someday Crafts
Tatertots and Jello

Click HERE to see their buttons and other parties I regularly participate in!


 

©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger