Menu Home About Tutorials Style Shop Buttons

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Etsy Shop or Blog Monogram Letters

Since I have written about monogram letters here, and here I thought I would post a tutorial on how to cover the letters with paper. I usually make the letters for a family name, but this time I thought it would be fun to make YB for Yellow Blackbird for my craft room. It would also be fun for a blog name put on a computer desk or something.

I did this tutorial at night so the pictures aren't that great- sorry! Here we go!


You can buy letters at any craft store. I sometimes use wood, but found these paper mache letters at Hobby Lobby for $1.77 each.

The first step is to choose patterned paper. Choose something that matches your shop or blog name. You can see that I chose a gray paper with yellow birds! Trace the letter on the back of the paper. (Make sure you put the letter face down so it isn't backwards.)



Cut out the paper.


Next paint the edges of the letter a matching color. I usually use the paper background color, but decided to go with an accent color this time.
You can see by the pictures that I messed up and painted the letter first, then traced it. If you do this you will have to repaint the letter to cover up your pencil marks.


Let the paint dry.





Use Mod Podge to attach the paper to the letter. Swipe a coat on really fast, attach the paper and smooth with a bone folder or side of a credit card. If you get the mod podge too thick it can cause the paper to wrinkle and even tear.

If you want extra protection and shiny-ness add another coat of Mod Podge. : )

Embelish letters as desired. For the B I hot glued a flower and yellow button on the edge. I wrapped the Y in yellow ribbon.

Ta da! Display proudly!


In addition to my fav linky parties listed in the side bar, this post will be linked up to:




 

©2011 All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by Website Design Credit

Powered by Blogger